Saturday, July 10, 2010

Speaking Boy: Lesson 1

So, a question I get a lot is to "translate" something from boy to girl, or from girl to boy (I'm not being gender-ist here; I literally get asked to do this). Today's Question comes from Clara, via the nerdfighter thread
and asks exactly that. Clara writes:

what does it mean if a boy makes fun of me about my nerdiness but like in a sort of nice way. like for example: why do you spend all your time studying when you could be spending it with me? or like: you are like the pretty queen of all the nerds. it kind of seems like he likes me but he is always commenting on how im dorky. idk. help!


Clara, a step by step translation follows:

"Why do you spend all your time studying when you could be spending it with me?"

Translation: I admire your intelligence, and am slightly intimidated by your brains. Please like me. Please? Please? I'm being funny!

Explanation: Boys (and it sounds like a high school boy too, am I right?) are often very scared of having their (fragile) male ego shattered. It would be an affront to his masculinity if he was like "you are so much smarter/dedicated than I am. I also have a huge crush on you." Instead, he's pointing out your brains, and also asking you to spend time with him. It makes him seem great because he's like "why not spend time with me? [I am awesome and charming!]" However, it makes him also seem like a bit of an asshat, but in that special "I am alpha male, hear me roar!" high school sort of way. He's trying really hard, honey. Give him a break. He probably doesn't know how to think AND listen to his testosterone yet.

Next translation:

"you are like the pretty queen of all the nerds."


Translation: Again, he's trying REALLY hard not to just turn into a slobbering puppy when he's around you. That probably sounded way better in his head. He was probably going to say something to you like "you are like the pretty queen of butterflies and everything awesome" but realized that might make him sound, well...like a pussy (again, high-school-boy-think. We all know that being a pussy and having a pussy are often two very different things to them). He probably added the "of the nerds" to save face. Don't worry about it. He really likes you. He's also probably really insecure. If you like him, I'd say go for it--he can't help sounding like a bit of an asshole. He likes the fact that you're dorky...and the fact that he's saying all those things makes me wonder why he hasn't asked you out by now. Caution, though: If he's one of those "popular" boys that has a bit of a reputation, please make sure he's not doing this for a bet, or for laughs, or anything stupid. You're probably gorgeous and everything, but just remember, if he's a high school boy, he's probably very dumb in many ways. It's not being sexist--all of my guy friends would agree with that statement.

Hope that helps. And remember folks: jump those rail roads!

xoxo,
Risk(y)

No comments:

Post a Comment